Skip to main content

This Friday on Cupid...





Hi David, I am 30 years and from Cross River state. I want to firstly thank you for this platform you have and I am hoping it would remedy my problem.
I met this guy when I was still working in a company different from where I am now. This guy is wonderful, he is everything I need in a guy. I was having issues with my former place of work and he was the one who got me where I am working now which pays me better. I am 30, which makes it obvious that I have been having difficulties getting a husband. This issue makes me have sleepless nights, but this guy has given me some hope at least.
Last two weeks, I realised I felt different health wise and I decided to go for a check-up. I discovered I am pregnant. I was shocked as he uses a CD each time, but yet this happened. I went ahead to tell him and at first he was trying to make sure I didn’t have anything to do with another person. But after he now told me what scattered my brain. Do you know that all this while, this man had a wife and children? He is legally married but I never knew. He’s saying that he wants to divorce his wife for me, and that he has been having problems with her and he has found everything he wants in me. He said I should just give him time to get her to sign papers in court and he would get us another house where he will live with me and get married as well. I believe his words because he has only lied about his family but nothing more since we met a year ago. He has also been initiating plans of marrying me before this happened. He is also not asking me to abort the child, he said he wants it. I cannot even abort the child because I have done one before and I swore I was not going to ever in my life again try it. But I don’t know how to watch him divorce his wife. I’m just trapped, I am ashamed of myself right now because I am well-known in church and I don’t know how to carry a pregnancy without being married.
My friend who has been following your blog David’s Mind requested I write to you as she too is confused. Please sir, what do I do?
From Calabar.

Hi!
I don’t really know where to start, but I think I’ll first say, calm down and relax, all is well. I think the force that drove you to this point is desperation. I have always advised young ladies, yes biologically, there is a most suitable time frame to get married, of which there are other advantages attached, but I believe every human being deserves a life first before marriage. Marriage is an integral part of living, but living is more important than marriage. What am I saying? You can’t kill yourself when you can’t find a marriage partner, in fact I believe that when you become desperate, it’s either you make a grave mistake, or marriage won’t find you. I think if you had paid more attention you would have found out that that man was married. Nonetheless, the mistake has been made and I am sure you know its gravity.
Any man that divorces his wife to remarry another one, is 95% probable of divorcing again. Divorcing his wife may not be the problem, but keeping you after marrying you is what you should worry about. Have you asked him about the issue between him and his wife? Are you sure who is at fault? Remember you Bible says, what God has joined together, no man shall put asunder, God joined that marriage, be careful not to destroy it. If he wants to divorce his wife, then let him do it on his own terms and not on your account.
About your pregnancy, I think you already know what to do. You have to keep it and not just for him, but for yourself. You may have a baby out of wedlock, but that’s your baby, that’s your life. You would never be proud of how you got here, but you have to be proud of your child and whatever he/she becomes tomorrow. If you go to church because of what people say, then you shouldn’t be a Christian in the first place. Focus on Christ and forget what people say. God sees your heart, knows your mistakes and it’s up to Him to grant you His eternal forgiveness in His infinite mercy.
Lastly I’ll say this, you’re not damaged, you’re not lost, and your problem is not even the worst. But the way you choose to see a problem is what determines what you can make out of it. You’re a Christian, and I won’t fail to remind you that within all these, you went against God. Don’t spend your time wailing and hoping for forgiveness, as that is not what He would expect from you. Instead, make a decision to stick with Him from now on, you need Him to get through this trial.
Thank you for choosing Cupid, God bless you.

Comments

  1. God bless you for such a wonderful piece. Indeed, the intensity of a problem depend on how you define it .More grace to do more

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all,we all need to stop living our lives just to impress others because most times the people you're trying so hard to impress aren't paying attention . It's a norm in this part of the world that women are supposed to be married at a particular age thereby raising blood pressures, causing depressions, and making women more desperate.
    As human beings,once we become desperate, we're bound to make mistakes, you've already made the mistake,you cant afford to make another by breaking up what God has joined together . Live your life without desperation and enjoy the gift

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With all due respect...

Funnily enough, each time someone starts a statement with, "With all due respect... " somehow an insult seems to be respectfully laid out at the end, but hopefully that won't be my aim. Dear reader, I’m filled with words on this topic, but I choose to use a few wisely, so my points would be absorbed appropriately. Feminism, the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities, this I suppose is its basic meaning. But I'm sure some people don't understand this word by this meaning, because it has been adulterated in so many ways to suit a society or even a person's style of life. A lot has been written, debates held and even organizations formed based on this fight, but the view is still not clear. I don't wish to go into history because it won't really remedy this situation, but I'll briefly state this, feminism is a concept for oppressed women in a society. Women who are denied the right to live like human beings because o

Forever Lessons

Dear reader,  Been a while yea? I've missed doing this too, but between planning to get married and eventually getting married, a lot has really happened. These things kept me off writing for a while and I can't tell you enough how hard that was for me. But here I am, ready to serve you another dish of beautiful words succinctly put together to appeal to both your digest and inspiration.  In 2018, I wrote an article titled David Weds , it was an article where I tried to relay my dream plan for my dream wedding with my supposed wife. 😆 I tried to inspire young minds who have not thought of marriage in the way I did and as well, I figured I could encourage those who have already found themselves in the process.  Today I'm 30! And yes I'm married! 😍 The wedding was memorable and my wife is everything I wished for and more! Congratulations, I know, thanks a bunch! 😊  So did my plan work? How did I do it? It's a lot to talk about if I were to answer these questions, s

David Weds

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    When I was younger, early teens, I made a promise to myself, that I would get married before thirty. Why, you may ask, or even, how? I will try to explain, as I engage you in another of my captivating write ups.             Dear reader, as you go down this article, learn that my objective of writing this piece, is to widen your horizon on marriage perception. Many books, articles and other artistry have been developed to fight the confusion that comes with this strata of life, but the devastated marriages of today have statistically shown that no justice has been done to quenching the growing fire. I have come to understand that authors and counselors have done a great job in trying to remedy this situation, but the

Catch up with David

  Dear reader,  It's been a while, hasn't it? Trust me,  I've missed every part of this just as I'm sure you have, but I'm glad I could write again and have you still here for me to read what I have. Since my last post till now,  a whole lot has come up in the country and the height of it is the COVID-19 pandemic which has put us in a very difficult situation in the country.  But it's a phase,  we'll get through it.  Within this whole period,  I knew I had to say something.  I've been feeling that itch everyday and today I've decided there are four basic things I wish to talk about. This article gives my heart to the surviving youths of this era and I hope this advice helps you as you push through life.  Start thinking productively.   I've come to realise, that this situation is not actually a set back,  I see it as a turning point for lots of things.  What we see as suffering right now,  is just people trying to adjust to what the new life order

This Friday on Cupid...

Dear David, I saw your ad about Cupid and I decided to write to you, I’m doubtful you will solve my problems but I have no one else to talk to. I am a Ghanian who resides in Nigeria cos I have a Nigerian mother. What I am about to tell you is a story you have to really calm down, put yourself in my shoes, before you answer. It all started when I was 17, I met him in my SS3, and I can’t forget that day. He was wearing a black jean and red polo with the face cap I stole from him years later. David, he is everything I need in a guy, I won’t just share my list. I made a promise that I would not have anything with a guy till I was done with secondary school, but since I was already in the last class, when he asked me out, I jumped in. All was rosy, yes we didn’t get to see all the time cos I was in a boarding school, but the minute I was back home, he’d show up on my doorsteps when my parents are out. We kept on this way till I was done with secondary school then I gained admission

This Friday on Cupid…

Hi David, I am a teacher in a secondary school and I am 29. I have a business of making shoes and I run it myself. When I get back from work, I open my shop and start working. Little by little I have been able to get a place of my own and cannot beg for food at least. I have a girlfriend who is so beautiful and loving. I am planning on getting married to her, nothing in this world can stop it, well so I thought. We have only one problem, my profession. See, I have passion for teaching and that is the only thing I believe I can do so well. I love young children and grooming them. But my girlfriend keeps saying she can never marry a teacher. I got an offer from my uncle to come work in a bank, but I turned him down. When I told my girlfriend about it, she ran crazy, she went berserk. She couldn’t understand why I would turn down a lucrative job so we would marry as poor people. There is nothing my girlfriend has asked me for that I have never provided, why would she call me a poor