Skip to main content

Diarrhoea of the Mouth

One may wonder what this topic “The diarrhoea of the mouth” is all about since the word “DIARRHOEA” is health related. Firstly, I would love to take a look into the definition of the word “DIARRHOEA”

WHAT  IS DIARRHOEA ?
Diarrhoea is having loose and watery stools frequently in a day. It is acute when it lasts for 2 or 3 days. In this case, the individual has no control over it.

WHAT THEN IS “THE DIARRHOEA OF THE MOUTH”?
The diarrhoea is a health condition of the mouth. It is when an individual has no control over the things that comes out of his/her mouth.

The diarrhoea of the mouth is a disease suffered by many persons in our society. This health condition is one which allows most persons to say/utter words anyhow from their mouths. The mouth was made by God so that through it He (GOD) might be glorified; blessings and life giving words might be said out of it.
 Generally, a person having diarrhoea of the mouth is referred to as a “talkative” in the Nigerian society.
Being a talkative does more harm than good to any individual. You tend to say things anyhow both what you know and what you don’t know.
So many people, in the process of talking, have said so many things much more than they know and some of these things they have said have in one way or the other destroyed  homes, destinies, careers, marriages, friendship,
When people try to find the reason why man talks too much than what is expected of him, they realize the following reasons viz;


  • Most persons talk too much just for the fun of it: having the tongue in the mouth has given many people the mindset that the mouth is just for talking, and in their own understanding, talking means anything that comes into the mind whether thoughtful or not, heartbreaking or not, developing or not. Sometimes the group of persons that fall into this category sooner than later realizes their mistakes but this happens only when the harm has been done. 
  • Most persons talk too much just because they think it is something associated with their gender; gender has always been used as a basis for judging the group that talks the most. This gave rise to the notion that the women talk way more than the men and therefore came the saying that the power of a woman lies in her mouth. Actually, the power of every living being lies in the mouth but most women, taking it as a full time job, talk more than the men. This does not cancel the fact that we have a lot of Gossips these days as men. 
  • Some persons talk because it is part of their job; talking as a tool for conveying information can be found in our presenters. These people talk too much because it is part of their profession. It is an important characteristic of a communicator because their job has permitted them to. They talk to convey information and would not be judged as talkatives. 

People who talk much have these things in common.

  • They do not listen- communication can never be complete without the other party listening and grasping what the conveyer has in stock. Listening is the first step to communication “when you are not a good listener, then you are a good talker”. When people talk, they should give room to listen to themselves and whoever is around them (i.e. whoever is in their company) because it is never all about us. We talk too much forgetting that maybe the other person just wants you to listen and understand the story they have to share too.
  • They talk about themselves too much; a lot of people talk about their selves the whole time. If given 30 minutes to chat with a friend and he/she spend 25 minutes talking about his/hersefr, such a person is a talkative. “Do not always sing your praises yourself, let others do that for you”. Some persons consciously or unconsciously do this when they see a friend after a long time, when meeting a friend for the first time and when they run out of tips. If you fall into this category of persons, learn to appreciate silence.
  • They do not understand the chemistry of moods and expressions in communication; Communication is a two way thing. When one talks, take note of the mood of the second person and expressions that follow whether they are comforting, encouraging, sad, disturbed or uninterested.  When we talk too much, we never get to know what the other person feels or thinks because they are never given the time to express themselves and share a part of their own story. A talkative is only self-conceited and does not know much about feelings and self-expressions.
  • They lack self control; it narrows down to self-control.  Without self-control, everything goes amiss in a persons life. We blab and gossip a lot because the guard that was put on the tongue has been let loose and this happens because of lack of self-control. Learn to have control over your tongue.


POSSIBLE REMEDIES.
Know when to speak; Know what to say, everything is not discuss-able. Learn to be secretive and stingy with words sometimes. Again, learn how to say it, don't let words loose their value from your lips.
Learn to listen without interruption.
Learn to ask questions.
Learn to converse more with family and friends.
Encourage others to talk in a discussion (group or casual).
Give yourself time to process your thoughts.
TALK LESS, THINK MORE, ASK MORE, LISTEN MORE AND DO MORE.

 On a final note, I want to remind us that great people have one thing in common which is the policy of talk less, think more and act more. They learned to listen more and care more for people around them and gave no attention to idle talks. They discovered the peace and treasure in control over the tongue.
We all should be soft and cultured in communicating rather than rash and eager to say things in the rush of a second.

Thank you for your time 😊

Written by the winner of David's Young Writers season one ... Attah Blessing  

Comments

  1. This is really interesting. How I wish the women will have time to gonthrough this. Instagram and social media brotjera has eroded reading culture in the lives of men and and especially women.
    Good piece. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love this inspiration dear
    May you be inspired to write more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wao! This is absolutely great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With all due respect...

Funnily enough, each time someone starts a statement with, "With all due respect... " somehow an insult seems to be respectfully laid out at the end, but hopefully that won't be my aim. Dear reader, I’m filled with words on this topic, but I choose to use a few wisely, so my points would be absorbed appropriately. Feminism, the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities, this I suppose is its basic meaning. But I'm sure some people don't understand this word by this meaning, because it has been adulterated in so many ways to suit a society or even a person's style of life. A lot has been written, debates held and even organizations formed based on this fight, but the view is still not clear. I don't wish to go into history because it won't really remedy this situation, but I'll briefly state this, feminism is a concept for oppressed women in a society. Women who are denied the right to live like human beings because o

Forever Lessons

Dear reader,  Been a while yea? I've missed doing this too, but between planning to get married and eventually getting married, a lot has really happened. These things kept me off writing for a while and I can't tell you enough how hard that was for me. But here I am, ready to serve you another dish of beautiful words succinctly put together to appeal to both your digest and inspiration.  In 2018, I wrote an article titled David Weds , it was an article where I tried to relay my dream plan for my dream wedding with my supposed wife. 😆 I tried to inspire young minds who have not thought of marriage in the way I did and as well, I figured I could encourage those who have already found themselves in the process.  Today I'm 30! And yes I'm married! 😍 The wedding was memorable and my wife is everything I wished for and more! Congratulations, I know, thanks a bunch! 😊  So did my plan work? How did I do it? It's a lot to talk about if I were to answer these questions, s

David Weds

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    When I was younger, early teens, I made a promise to myself, that I would get married before thirty. Why, you may ask, or even, how? I will try to explain, as I engage you in another of my captivating write ups.             Dear reader, as you go down this article, learn that my objective of writing this piece, is to widen your horizon on marriage perception. Many books, articles and other artistry have been developed to fight the confusion that comes with this strata of life, but the devastated marriages of today have statistically shown that no justice has been done to quenching the growing fire. I have come to understand that authors and counselors have done a great job in trying to remedy this situation, but the

Catch up with David

  Dear reader,  It's been a while, hasn't it? Trust me,  I've missed every part of this just as I'm sure you have, but I'm glad I could write again and have you still here for me to read what I have. Since my last post till now,  a whole lot has come up in the country and the height of it is the COVID-19 pandemic which has put us in a very difficult situation in the country.  But it's a phase,  we'll get through it.  Within this whole period,  I knew I had to say something.  I've been feeling that itch everyday and today I've decided there are four basic things I wish to talk about. This article gives my heart to the surviving youths of this era and I hope this advice helps you as you push through life.  Start thinking productively.   I've come to realise, that this situation is not actually a set back,  I see it as a turning point for lots of things.  What we see as suffering right now,  is just people trying to adjust to what the new life order

This Friday on Cupid...

Dear David, I saw your ad about Cupid and I decided to write to you, I’m doubtful you will solve my problems but I have no one else to talk to. I am a Ghanian who resides in Nigeria cos I have a Nigerian mother. What I am about to tell you is a story you have to really calm down, put yourself in my shoes, before you answer. It all started when I was 17, I met him in my SS3, and I can’t forget that day. He was wearing a black jean and red polo with the face cap I stole from him years later. David, he is everything I need in a guy, I won’t just share my list. I made a promise that I would not have anything with a guy till I was done with secondary school, but since I was already in the last class, when he asked me out, I jumped in. All was rosy, yes we didn’t get to see all the time cos I was in a boarding school, but the minute I was back home, he’d show up on my doorsteps when my parents are out. We kept on this way till I was done with secondary school then I gained admission

This Friday on Cupid…

Hi David, I am a teacher in a secondary school and I am 29. I have a business of making shoes and I run it myself. When I get back from work, I open my shop and start working. Little by little I have been able to get a place of my own and cannot beg for food at least. I have a girlfriend who is so beautiful and loving. I am planning on getting married to her, nothing in this world can stop it, well so I thought. We have only one problem, my profession. See, I have passion for teaching and that is the only thing I believe I can do so well. I love young children and grooming them. But my girlfriend keeps saying she can never marry a teacher. I got an offer from my uncle to come work in a bank, but I turned him down. When I told my girlfriend about it, she ran crazy, she went berserk. She couldn’t understand why I would turn down a lucrative job so we would marry as poor people. There is nothing my girlfriend has asked me for that I have never provided, why would she call me a poor