Skip to main content

Our Lord's Prayer



Dear reader, this article you're about to read is the most difficult one I've written so far. I've heard a lot of people dialogue constructively, argumentatively or in some variable occasions, violently about this particular issue and I found it an intrinsic factor about christianity to write on. It is the issue of prayer. Many have come up with different views on the best way to reach out to God in prayer, each believing their school of thought stands as standard, perhaps the wonder behind numerous Christian churches. When the followers of Jesus asked Him to teach them how to pray, He taught them a particular prayer. It struck my intuition when I started asking myself some questions.
Was it that the disciples did not know how to pray before Jesus came?
Did Jesus just say any prayer just so they could learn?
Does it mean we can't pray in any other form except the way Jesus stated it?
I had to stop reciting this prayer and started meditating on it. This is something most Christians lack, meditation. It requires a lot of concentration. We always have the time to ask ceaselessly about what we need, but we never find time to meditate on what He says. Meditation brings you closer to answers to your problems, because in that moment, you allow God to speak to you. Prayer should be an interaction or a chat with God, not a talk or plea to God. It should be a complete communication where you speak, and you allow him to speak. During this meditation, I realized that Jesus gave us a template to pray with. If we understand that template very well, then we would realise that all we need to pray for and about, are all there. It also opens our minds to things we pray about that are irrelevant.
Let us then dissect the Lord's prayer...

Our father...

Let's all remember that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, that makes God the Father, His Father. It would have been convenient for Him to start that prayer with "My Father", but He said, "Our father". Jesus was teaching us how to pray for others. Ask yourself this moment, how many times do you intercede for others? How many times do you pray that the success of others be granted even over yours? Learn today to stop using words like "my" so much in a prayer. Always use words like, "our", "us", and so on. This makes you quite unselfish in the presence of God.

Who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, thy Kingdom come...

Jesus praised His father continuously. Praises are the best offerings you can give to God. Many people rush into telling God their problems in a prayer that they forget to thank Him for at least, life. I understand that some situations can be so demanding and the thoughts of any other thing may desert you, but for the sake of being a true Christian, Praises matter to God more than so many other forms of prayer. When praising God, declare facts and express your belief. Jesus said, "Who art in heaven...", that's a fact He declared, especially to pinpoint the very God He believes in and He's praying to. Always call him names that are factual. Don't try to express how wonderful he is and end up mocking His very nature.

Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven...

Praying to God over a problem could be likened to a conversation between a guy and his crush. The guy says, "I love you". The best possible answer expected by this boy is "I love you too", he'd be so happy you know. But the girl could reply, "Wow! Are you serious?" or even "Ok" ; which in both cases are not negative answers but yet not conclusively positive reactions. God always hears our prayers! He's not deaf, neither is he not understanding. What you ask for in prayers, may not be what you get as His answer. It may be better, or even worse. Jesus said, "Thy will be done...", this is because He knows that His father knows the best for us. Imagine being the manager of a certain company, not everyone would like you, this is a fact. It wouldn't be because you're not a good manager, but there are so many things you alone can see from your position that could push you into making some policies that would not suit everybody. You could sack some people because you feel it's even the best for them. That's how God works! Sometimes we oblige to letting His will be done, and when it's not in our favour, we lose faith or probably try to force it by changing churches and seeking more powerful prayers. Jesus wants us to put our faith in God blindly and be patient with His reliable will, as it is so for us in heaven.

Give us this day, our daily bread...

It's actually funny sometimes, people would say, "Give us these days...". In economics, we were taught that when you fail to plan for the future, then you're bound to be a failure. But Jesus said, "Give us this day...", so what about tomorrow, or next, or the one after? You know what He wants from you? No worries! These days you keep worrying about tomorrow, next week, next year, but the hilarious part is, you've barely survived today! When you have absolute faith in God, then tomorrow should not bother you. Have you asked all those chickens without owners how they've been feeding, or even the fishes in the sea? Who provides their food? Science has blinded us to the fact that even before we could control the world by it, the world was controlled by a supreme being, perfectly! Don't cry about those problems, don't kill yourself because you don't know what tomorrow would be like, tell God your problems, have faith and I'm sure He would provide your daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us...

How amazing we can be, holding a grudge towards another person, and seeking for God's forgiveness everyday. How does that work? You're holding on to a person's orange, he's searching for it, but you're raising your hands to even collect another orange. As much as Jesus is trying to teach us how to always realise we're sinners and should always plead for forgiveness before God, He also wants us to understand that our immediate neighbour has the same weaknesses as we do. This line preaches love in its utmost understanding. If we learn to love our neighbors as ourselves, then we would easily learn that our lives are no different from theirs, no matter how perfect we think we are. Also crucial, is the fact that we are sinners and should always ask for God's forgiveness. Some people boycott the prayer for forgiveness during prayers because they can't face their sins and confess them. They feel too ashamed to come to God with all their shortcomings. Some even have an existing belief that God can never forgive them, hence  they even go as far as staying away from prayers entirely. Many have left God and Christianity as a whole because they feel they've gone so deep in sin that there's no redemption. If you're in this shoe my dear reader, then the first step is forgiving yourself. Then go down on your knees in prayer and seek for His face, He will forgive you. But the price you have to pay is, you'll never do that again.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

The word "temptation" should not be taken literally, because God cannot lead a person into temptation, instead it should be seen as "hard-testing". When you say temptation, there is an intention for a person led to fall, but a test would be to analyse your basic understanding of a particular concept. A teacher would always test his students, either to be sure of the student's understanding or to certify his level of growth in knowledge. God would always test us, sometimes hard, to determine the strength of our faith in Him. We can only pray that He doesn't give us a test that would be too hard, in such case, death. This could be justified in Jesus' prayer before His death. We should always seek for wisdom from God to be able to overcome all the hard tests life puts us through.
Did you realise that it's only on this very line that Jesus talked about the devil for the first time. He did not even mention his name, He said "evil". The word "devil" is a reference to a personea, but "evil" is an act. What does that tell you? He never wants us to worry about the devil, He wants us to worry more about the evil acts of people around us. He also asked us to pray that God delivers us from this evil, and not for us to fight the evil ourselves. We don't even know the evil, we can't see it coming, but we wish to fight it ourselves, how can we succeed? This line is teaching us to put our trust in Him he would do the rest. A chick runs under the protection of the mother hen when a hawk attacks, that's the way God expects us to run under His protection. This does not exempt prayers from the heart that may seem aggressive towards a perceived evil, but it should be an act of true faith and not hypocrisy.

There you are my reader, you can now understand that Our Lord's Prayer is not just a prayer, but also a lifestyle. It's a template for every Christian to follow in both work and prayers. I cannot overemphasize the beauty of this prayer, and it's a hopeful thought that after this read, your life would be touched positively and significantly.

Thank you for reading😊

Credit to... Ojobor Kingsley.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With all due respect...

Funnily enough, each time someone starts a statement with, "With all due respect... " somehow an insult seems to be respectfully laid out at the end, but hopefully that won't be my aim. Dear reader, I’m filled with words on this topic, but I choose to use a few wisely, so my points would be absorbed appropriately. Feminism, the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities, this I suppose is its basic meaning. But I'm sure some people don't understand this word by this meaning, because it has been adulterated in so many ways to suit a society or even a person's style of life. A lot has been written, debates held and even organizations formed based on this fight, but the view is still not clear. I don't wish to go into history because it won't really remedy this situation, but I'll briefly state this, feminism is a concept for oppressed women in a society. Women who are denied the right to live like human beings because o

Forever Lessons

Dear reader,  Been a while yea? I've missed doing this too, but between planning to get married and eventually getting married, a lot has really happened. These things kept me off writing for a while and I can't tell you enough how hard that was for me. But here I am, ready to serve you another dish of beautiful words succinctly put together to appeal to both your digest and inspiration.  In 2018, I wrote an article titled David Weds , it was an article where I tried to relay my dream plan for my dream wedding with my supposed wife. 😆 I tried to inspire young minds who have not thought of marriage in the way I did and as well, I figured I could encourage those who have already found themselves in the process.  Today I'm 30! And yes I'm married! 😍 The wedding was memorable and my wife is everything I wished for and more! Congratulations, I know, thanks a bunch! 😊  So did my plan work? How did I do it? It's a lot to talk about if I were to answer these questions, s

David Weds

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    When I was younger, early teens, I made a promise to myself, that I would get married before thirty. Why, you may ask, or even, how? I will try to explain, as I engage you in another of my captivating write ups.             Dear reader, as you go down this article, learn that my objective of writing this piece, is to widen your horizon on marriage perception. Many books, articles and other artistry have been developed to fight the confusion that comes with this strata of life, but the devastated marriages of today have statistically shown that no justice has been done to quenching the growing fire. I have come to understand that authors and counselors have done a great job in trying to remedy this situation, but the

Catch up with David

  Dear reader,  It's been a while, hasn't it? Trust me,  I've missed every part of this just as I'm sure you have, but I'm glad I could write again and have you still here for me to read what I have. Since my last post till now,  a whole lot has come up in the country and the height of it is the COVID-19 pandemic which has put us in a very difficult situation in the country.  But it's a phase,  we'll get through it.  Within this whole period,  I knew I had to say something.  I've been feeling that itch everyday and today I've decided there are four basic things I wish to talk about. This article gives my heart to the surviving youths of this era and I hope this advice helps you as you push through life.  Start thinking productively.   I've come to realise, that this situation is not actually a set back,  I see it as a turning point for lots of things.  What we see as suffering right now,  is just people trying to adjust to what the new life order

This Friday on Cupid...

Dear David, I saw your ad about Cupid and I decided to write to you, I’m doubtful you will solve my problems but I have no one else to talk to. I am a Ghanian who resides in Nigeria cos I have a Nigerian mother. What I am about to tell you is a story you have to really calm down, put yourself in my shoes, before you answer. It all started when I was 17, I met him in my SS3, and I can’t forget that day. He was wearing a black jean and red polo with the face cap I stole from him years later. David, he is everything I need in a guy, I won’t just share my list. I made a promise that I would not have anything with a guy till I was done with secondary school, but since I was already in the last class, when he asked me out, I jumped in. All was rosy, yes we didn’t get to see all the time cos I was in a boarding school, but the minute I was back home, he’d show up on my doorsteps when my parents are out. We kept on this way till I was done with secondary school then I gained admission

This Friday on Cupid…

Hi David, I am a teacher in a secondary school and I am 29. I have a business of making shoes and I run it myself. When I get back from work, I open my shop and start working. Little by little I have been able to get a place of my own and cannot beg for food at least. I have a girlfriend who is so beautiful and loving. I am planning on getting married to her, nothing in this world can stop it, well so I thought. We have only one problem, my profession. See, I have passion for teaching and that is the only thing I believe I can do so well. I love young children and grooming them. But my girlfriend keeps saying she can never marry a teacher. I got an offer from my uncle to come work in a bank, but I turned him down. When I told my girlfriend about it, she ran crazy, she went berserk. She couldn’t understand why I would turn down a lucrative job so we would marry as poor people. There is nothing my girlfriend has asked me for that I have never provided, why would she call me a poor