Skip to main content

My Father’s Last Words


                Dear reader, I would rather not bore you with what my family looked like, but we could easily be described by a Nigerian as “just there”. Good thing was, I had great parents who indifferently treated us differently but with a common goal. My mum was the bad cop in most cases of misconduct, while my dad was the good cop who talks you to confession. My mum had wonderful words of wisdom, but I think a part of her believed more in the rod. Listening to my dad’s words everyday made them subconsciously stick into my head.
                Well, the bed was not all rosy, but it was pink at least, until the ailment struck…yea, it got my dad. He was taken everywhere we could get professional help to restore him, but it seemed we needed to pay a higher price for his life as days went by. He was to be flown to India for advanced medication. I was waiting for the traditional Nigerian youth service at this time, and I had just few days before my departure to my camp. A night before I left, my father woke me up from the bed and said,”Ebuka, wake up. I have a few words for you.”
                I am going to share the discussion we had that night and I implore that as I engage you through these words he said to me, try to envisage the scenario. A part of him knew he was not going to make it anymore; his tears that night was evidence enough, but I tried to look past the tears and heartbreak and get his message.
“Your mother and I have done a lot to see that you, our children do not lack anything in this world”, he started. “Your mother especially had always given up everything she had to make sure you guys went to good schools. We did all this because of the love we have for all of you and also for you to understand that you are the reason why our lives makes any sense. It would be of total regret that any of you becomes wayward or useless in life, so in as much as we have educated you, I still have these words of wisdom to share with you because passing six, is not passing sense”.

“As my firstborn, you are my first joy and the leader when I am not there”, he continued in his deep tone. “All your siblings would always look up to you, so whatever you do, they will always emulate. Wisdom and patience should always be your strength and God is the only source of both. In the world of today, people choose to make life easier for themselves by believing the non-existence of God, but God remains as real as heaven and hell. Never abandon him in whatever you do and whoever you become. If you go down in sin, stand up again and look up to Him. If He gave you a day to breathe, then live a life that tells him how grateful you are. Don’t spend all your time trying to find a pattern for your life, God has already done that, just find Him”.

“Your mother and I had always told you this when you were growing up, anywhere you are and whatever you do, always ask yourself, what do people say that I am? This question would always keep you conscious of yourself and aware of mistakes. It should guide your actions and always purify your decisions. It may sound like this particular advice would encourage pretence in what you do, but not being self-aware and conscious of how much damage you have done to your character and probably another’s, would be a worse challenge”.  

“Take this seriously, don’t ever depend on anybody for anything, if anyone decides to help you, accept it with your whole heart and thank the person. As you wax for success, people will come to you with promises of helping you succeed. They may even give you their contact and take yours promising with their hearts they would help, it will shock you that even when that person is very much related to you, he could disappoint you. It would shock you more when you put all your hope in this person and wait on him/her to gain what you wish for. Ask for help when you need one, but don’t place all your hope on that help, keep working hard. Some people don’t disappoint you deliberately, coincidence knows how to ruin a day”.

Do unto others what you wish them to do to you. You know this has always been my principle of life, but I’m sure you never knew why. I never had all the wealth in this world like my mates, but I had one thing I cherished so much, a peaceful mind. When you live a life looking out for others, your mind is always free of guilt and you’ll always sleep like a baby. Don’t hurt people because you’ll hurt God. Don’t even join those hurting people or stay where plans are made to hurt people, you all share the same punishment. Do the right thing, say the truth, side the right fact, no matter the cost. If you stay one place, what would harm you would stay one place as well. Always be in the right place at the right time, a lot are in jail because of this simple mistake. Correct a friend when he is wrong, don’t aid him by siding him. Have as many friends as you wish, but also know they bring you more trouble because, he that knows you best, kills you best. Your family would always have your back better than a friend, at least this is 80% true”.

Nothing good comes easy, so if you are working towards a direction and you meet a lot of stress, difficulty, frustration, don’t worry, you are on the right part. Self-discovery is not a day’s job, it takes even years. You could start up something, you try to run it and it fails, don’t be scared to try another strategy. If you don’t try, you fail, but if you keep trying, you have hope. Stay clear from illegal things, I may not have been rich, but I have never been locked up in a prison and nobody has ever called me a thief. My integrity and respect remain untouchable. Look for ways to impact in people and you will always be grateful you did. Always believe in yourself because I know you, you can get whatever you want if you work towards it”.

“These things I’ve thought you, teach your siblings, carry them along. This sickness keeps disturbing me, but in you (all of us), I’m sure I’ll live forever”, he concluded as tears filled his face.

                I consoled him that night, but found myself being consoled two months later…he passed away.

One may ask, how come you just remembered every word, its only clear your father has never woken you up in the middle of the night to speak to you, or probably you neglect his words. Every word sank into me, even deeper when he died. My father was just a civil servant before he died, in fact, he was struggling to earn monthly. But during his burial, I was amazed at what I saw. He was buried like a king, his burial was so pronounced that weeks after he was buried, people were still talking about it and describing it as the burial of a chief in the village. The visitors that came on that day, I couldn't even recognize all of them but they all knew me and my siblings so well. Everyone was saying the same thing, "Your father was a good man, he has made a big impact in my life". At that moment, it felt like I never knew my father all this while. I always thought low of him because we were never rich, but he was a great man in the eyes of the world.

Well, that was my father... What about you, my dear reader? What have you chosen today for yourself? How do you choose to be remembered? What do you crave most for in your life? Death is a sad reality for all of us, it's up to us to live by what you will be known for.

I choose to listen to my father's last words...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With all due respect...

Funnily enough, each time someone starts a statement with, "With all due respect... " somehow an insult seems to be respectfully laid out at the end, but hopefully that won't be my aim. Dear reader, I’m filled with words on this topic, but I choose to use a few wisely, so my points would be absorbed appropriately. Feminism, the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities, this I suppose is its basic meaning. But I'm sure some people don't understand this word by this meaning, because it has been adulterated in so many ways to suit a society or even a person's style of life. A lot has been written, debates held and even organizations formed based on this fight, but the view is still not clear. I don't wish to go into history because it won't really remedy this situation, but I'll briefly state this, feminism is a concept for oppressed women in a society. Women who are denied the right to live like human beings because o

Forever Lessons

Dear reader,  Been a while yea? I've missed doing this too, but between planning to get married and eventually getting married, a lot has really happened. These things kept me off writing for a while and I can't tell you enough how hard that was for me. But here I am, ready to serve you another dish of beautiful words succinctly put together to appeal to both your digest and inspiration.  In 2018, I wrote an article titled David Weds , it was an article where I tried to relay my dream plan for my dream wedding with my supposed wife. 😆 I tried to inspire young minds who have not thought of marriage in the way I did and as well, I figured I could encourage those who have already found themselves in the process.  Today I'm 30! And yes I'm married! 😍 The wedding was memorable and my wife is everything I wished for and more! Congratulations, I know, thanks a bunch! 😊  So did my plan work? How did I do it? It's a lot to talk about if I were to answer these questions, s

David Weds

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    When I was younger, early teens, I made a promise to myself, that I would get married before thirty. Why, you may ask, or even, how? I will try to explain, as I engage you in another of my captivating write ups.             Dear reader, as you go down this article, learn that my objective of writing this piece, is to widen your horizon on marriage perception. Many books, articles and other artistry have been developed to fight the confusion that comes with this strata of life, but the devastated marriages of today have statistically shown that no justice has been done to quenching the growing fire. I have come to understand that authors and counselors have done a great job in trying to remedy this situation, but the

Catch up with David

  Dear reader,  It's been a while, hasn't it? Trust me,  I've missed every part of this just as I'm sure you have, but I'm glad I could write again and have you still here for me to read what I have. Since my last post till now,  a whole lot has come up in the country and the height of it is the COVID-19 pandemic which has put us in a very difficult situation in the country.  But it's a phase,  we'll get through it.  Within this whole period,  I knew I had to say something.  I've been feeling that itch everyday and today I've decided there are four basic things I wish to talk about. This article gives my heart to the surviving youths of this era and I hope this advice helps you as you push through life.  Start thinking productively.   I've come to realise, that this situation is not actually a set back,  I see it as a turning point for lots of things.  What we see as suffering right now,  is just people trying to adjust to what the new life order

This Friday on Cupid...

Dear David, I saw your ad about Cupid and I decided to write to you, I’m doubtful you will solve my problems but I have no one else to talk to. I am a Ghanian who resides in Nigeria cos I have a Nigerian mother. What I am about to tell you is a story you have to really calm down, put yourself in my shoes, before you answer. It all started when I was 17, I met him in my SS3, and I can’t forget that day. He was wearing a black jean and red polo with the face cap I stole from him years later. David, he is everything I need in a guy, I won’t just share my list. I made a promise that I would not have anything with a guy till I was done with secondary school, but since I was already in the last class, when he asked me out, I jumped in. All was rosy, yes we didn’t get to see all the time cos I was in a boarding school, but the minute I was back home, he’d show up on my doorsteps when my parents are out. We kept on this way till I was done with secondary school then I gained admission

This Friday on Cupid…

Hi David, I am a teacher in a secondary school and I am 29. I have a business of making shoes and I run it myself. When I get back from work, I open my shop and start working. Little by little I have been able to get a place of my own and cannot beg for food at least. I have a girlfriend who is so beautiful and loving. I am planning on getting married to her, nothing in this world can stop it, well so I thought. We have only one problem, my profession. See, I have passion for teaching and that is the only thing I believe I can do so well. I love young children and grooming them. But my girlfriend keeps saying she can never marry a teacher. I got an offer from my uncle to come work in a bank, but I turned him down. When I told my girlfriend about it, she ran crazy, she went berserk. She couldn’t understand why I would turn down a lucrative job so we would marry as poor people. There is nothing my girlfriend has asked me for that I have never provided, why would she call me a poor