Skip to main content

Years of Usefulness to Humanity (YOUTH)



                              



       
The human body begins to seem uncontrollably reactive to a lot of things. Sometimes you crave for things and you feel it’s your decision to take it as you’re now old enough. Other times you find yourself thinking about some ways to show your folks you’re cleverer while they’re quite behind.

Now you’re a youth!


  



You got a lot of energy at this time, and the little you know seems a lot to achieve. So you dig holes with all you might in the wrong places and end up covering them back to dig in the right places. In this article, I don’t want to tell you what to do, I don’t also wish to advice you, because at the end of the day, I would only be doing exactly what you already know and heard. I wish to give you something to read, you decide what it means to you. I promise you, as long as this article may be, you won’t stop reading till you get to the end.  
 I know you’re quite smart, but there are a few things that just bugs you sometimes, like making money, starting a family, academic life and many more. This article won’t tell you how to solve these problems, maybe as you get to the end.
Truth is, these are your problems because there is something you have never cared to do. How many times have you tried to find out who you are? I’m sure you may have tried to understand what is expected of you, but have you ever succeeded in answering that question? Still a puzzle right?
As a youth, you’re part of an engine of a very large vehicle, doing a lot of work. Now you know why you got a lot of energy right? An engine has only one responsibility, being useful! If you’re driving a vehicle and you expect your engine to serve in its optimum best, then you gotta feed it with the best maintenance to improve efficiency, and also a lot of petrol as it is the primary source of energy.








So there you go engine, are you feeding yourself with the best maintenance?  
·        First as an engine, you were produced by someone, so you have to work based on the producer’s manual. If you don’t, its two ways; either you don’t last long or you won’t work at all. You would also fail the car you’re supposed to be working for. Your maker in heaven has a manual for you; the bible. Now you have to know that manual, front and back and adhere to what it says. Those words in there keeps you going every day. As long as you’re breathing, you have to give thanks at least. Don’t think that dear reader, I am not here to preach, read on…
·        You need a cooling system! You must not overwork yourself. Sometimes you need a rest, and you deserve it. No matter how much you need to keep working, remember that the minute you breakdown, a lot of money would be spent to make you function again, if the mechanic is not good at his job, you may never come back the same, ever again.
·        You need check-ups on your health status just as an engine goes for servicing after a while. Do not wait till you’re very down till you visit a hospital. Engage in regular exercise to keep you fit, not just to lose weight. Drink a lot of water. Exercise and water have been known to cure and prevent a lot of illnesses. Eat fruits and vegetables a lot too.
·        Avoid toxic substances! If you put a bad engine oil, the engine reacts negatively to it and sometimes impedes the mobility of the car. Smokes, excessive drinking and other habitual intakes could ruin a system and reduce your usefulness.
What about your petrol?
That’s your balanced diet. Don’t joke with what you eat. Always make sure your food has quality and not just quantity. The brain of any youth is always ticking with different thoughts, both negative and positive though, but basically this requires a lot of glucose in the brain to keep up, this is why you feed very well.
        Now, I’ve mentioned that there is a car you’re supposed to be working for, that’s the world. The world is your car, and this brings me to the title of this article; Years of Usefulness to Humanity (YOUTH).







The moment you start thinking like a youth, the first thing you have to realise is that people are beginning to look at you. Those older than you are looking to see what you’d become and how you would face the challenges they have faced or are already facing. The ones your age are looking at you as a competition, some as a benchmark for their own progress. The ones you’re older than, well they’ll be looking up to you. They wish to be like you, emulate you and understand you. So now you see, as a youth a lot of eyes are on you.
The question now may be, what is expected of you? You’re an engine with only one purpose, be useful! The number of years you have as a youth is quite short and if you are as smart as I feel you should be, then I suppose you understand what you need to achieve is a lot. Everything that you call a problem now, could be solved, not by you trying to solve these problems, but by you solving the problems of others. I’m going to teach you something today, make sure before you sleep each day, you’ve solved someone’s problem, or in the verge to. I’m not saying you could leave the things that matter to you, but I’m saying, more of others. Solving problems always comes with rewards such as money, fame, respect, loyalty and many more. Build business ideas based on the problems that require immediate solutions, you would make a lot of money from there and you’ll create a big name for yourself. It hurts that the youths of today has chosen to make money in the most illegal way as possible. It seems to them, the more illegal the process is, the quicker the process, and therefore more they will prefer the process. Stay away from illegal money! There is no pride in that, it doesn’t even make you a man in any way; or a woman as the case may be. Be useful!
As a youth, you’re a moving thinker! Be creative! Most of the youths of today has no time to think, and I crave to ask, what else do you have the time to do? Don’t spend so much time trying to “work hard”, if you’re creative, then you can “work smart”. Subscribe for data on your phone and spend 80% of the data on lucrative and informative things online. Reduce your visits to social media and more so, make them a platform where you add value, solve problems or gain knowledge from the world around you. Be useful!
Search for quality education! It must not end in first degree. Sought for more knowledge and make sure you use the knowledge you gain to impact into the world.  Don’t be too lazy to further your education, especially when you can, and also, quit subscribing to the primary belief that there is nothing you could learn from the Nigerian university, you just never paid attention. Be useful!
Stop spending a lot of time searching for relationships, they find you anyways; maybe when you solve that girl’s problem smartly. Be useful!
There’s a lot people lack knowledge about, for instance the high rate of smoking in Nigeria is alarming, start an awareness program and make yours passionate about minimizing this problem. Be useful!
The world needs you! The world needs the youths! You’re the engine of this large vehicle, and that little problem you could solve would go a long way in helping to move this vehicle. Remember, you gotta take care of yourself first and then you can serve better.  
I’m sure lazy reader, you already jumped to this end to find the solution to your problems, but like I said, “…as you get to the end”.
       
              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

With all due respect...

Funnily enough, each time someone starts a statement with, "With all due respect... " somehow an insult seems to be respectfully laid out at the end, but hopefully that won't be my aim. Dear reader, I’m filled with words on this topic, but I choose to use a few wisely, so my points would be absorbed appropriately. Feminism, the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities, this I suppose is its basic meaning. But I'm sure some people don't understand this word by this meaning, because it has been adulterated in so many ways to suit a society or even a person's style of life. A lot has been written, debates held and even organizations formed based on this fight, but the view is still not clear. I don't wish to go into history because it won't really remedy this situation, but I'll briefly state this, feminism is a concept for oppressed women in a society. Women who are denied the right to live like human beings because o

Forever Lessons

Dear reader,  Been a while yea? I've missed doing this too, but between planning to get married and eventually getting married, a lot has really happened. These things kept me off writing for a while and I can't tell you enough how hard that was for me. But here I am, ready to serve you another dish of beautiful words succinctly put together to appeal to both your digest and inspiration.  In 2018, I wrote an article titled David Weds , it was an article where I tried to relay my dream plan for my dream wedding with my supposed wife. 😆 I tried to inspire young minds who have not thought of marriage in the way I did and as well, I figured I could encourage those who have already found themselves in the process.  Today I'm 30! And yes I'm married! 😍 The wedding was memorable and my wife is everything I wished for and more! Congratulations, I know, thanks a bunch! 😊  So did my plan work? How did I do it? It's a lot to talk about if I were to answer these questions, s

David Weds

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    When I was younger, early teens, I made a promise to myself, that I would get married before thirty. Why, you may ask, or even, how? I will try to explain, as I engage you in another of my captivating write ups.             Dear reader, as you go down this article, learn that my objective of writing this piece, is to widen your horizon on marriage perception. Many books, articles and other artistry have been developed to fight the confusion that comes with this strata of life, but the devastated marriages of today have statistically shown that no justice has been done to quenching the growing fire. I have come to understand that authors and counselors have done a great job in trying to remedy this situation, but the

Catch up with David

  Dear reader,  It's been a while, hasn't it? Trust me,  I've missed every part of this just as I'm sure you have, but I'm glad I could write again and have you still here for me to read what I have. Since my last post till now,  a whole lot has come up in the country and the height of it is the COVID-19 pandemic which has put us in a very difficult situation in the country.  But it's a phase,  we'll get through it.  Within this whole period,  I knew I had to say something.  I've been feeling that itch everyday and today I've decided there are four basic things I wish to talk about. This article gives my heart to the surviving youths of this era and I hope this advice helps you as you push through life.  Start thinking productively.   I've come to realise, that this situation is not actually a set back,  I see it as a turning point for lots of things.  What we see as suffering right now,  is just people trying to adjust to what the new life order

This Friday on Cupid...

Dear David, I saw your ad about Cupid and I decided to write to you, I’m doubtful you will solve my problems but I have no one else to talk to. I am a Ghanian who resides in Nigeria cos I have a Nigerian mother. What I am about to tell you is a story you have to really calm down, put yourself in my shoes, before you answer. It all started when I was 17, I met him in my SS3, and I can’t forget that day. He was wearing a black jean and red polo with the face cap I stole from him years later. David, he is everything I need in a guy, I won’t just share my list. I made a promise that I would not have anything with a guy till I was done with secondary school, but since I was already in the last class, when he asked me out, I jumped in. All was rosy, yes we didn’t get to see all the time cos I was in a boarding school, but the minute I was back home, he’d show up on my doorsteps when my parents are out. We kept on this way till I was done with secondary school then I gained admission

This Friday on Cupid…

Hi David, I am a teacher in a secondary school and I am 29. I have a business of making shoes and I run it myself. When I get back from work, I open my shop and start working. Little by little I have been able to get a place of my own and cannot beg for food at least. I have a girlfriend who is so beautiful and loving. I am planning on getting married to her, nothing in this world can stop it, well so I thought. We have only one problem, my profession. See, I have passion for teaching and that is the only thing I believe I can do so well. I love young children and grooming them. But my girlfriend keeps saying she can never marry a teacher. I got an offer from my uncle to come work in a bank, but I turned him down. When I told my girlfriend about it, she ran crazy, she went berserk. She couldn’t understand why I would turn down a lucrative job so we would marry as poor people. There is nothing my girlfriend has asked me for that I have never provided, why would she call me a poor